I was recently invited to take part in a cruise weekend with some friends who were celebrating two other friends getting married. I’ve had a great time, but I’ve also had some time to muse on some things. Here we go:
- Charlie Strong is going to get fired at Texas. Brian Kelly is probably going to get bounced from Notre Dame. The LSU job is currently open. We’re about to see one of the most insane coaching carousels in college football history. So when some crazy stuff goes down in January, I’ll tell you I was right.
- People need to travel. I’m not saying cruises specifically. I’m saying stepping out of the comfort zones of your normal existence and go do something different. Book a round-trip flight somewhere with no pre-made plans. Learn about yourself and others by just getting away from the normal routine.
- Blake Bortles is a broken quarterback. After another disappointing outing versus the Oakland Raiders on Sunday, the evidence is mounting. His footwork and throwing motion are regressing, he’s locking on to receivers and making poor decisions, and he just looks flat out bad when trying to lead the Jacksonville Jaguar offense. The question is now: Can he be fixed? Or are the Jaguars going to be looking at pulling the trigger on a quarterback to push Mr. Bortles in May of 2017?
- In other bad football, the Arizona Cardinals and the Seattle Seahawks ended Sunday Night Football in a 6-6 tie. I feel if you tie a game in the NFL, you both should take losses.
- On my trip this weekend, I had the ultimate “First World Problem” moment when one of the people that I was travelling with asked me if I was having a good time relaxing at Coco Cay, a private getaway island that Royal Caribbean owns. I turned to her and said, “I mean, I live about 20 minutes from a beach so this is just a slightly better version from the beaches we go to.” Which I realized was probably the WORST thing to say to someone who was on this cruise for the first time and haven’t seen a beach. I’m kind of a jerk.