Goodbye, Jacksonville Suns. Hello, Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp.
MiLB has some incredible team names, but Jacksonville’s new entry might be the most ridiculous. Yeah, I get that the Jacksonville Suns has a very solid and rich history. Luckily with a team re-brand, that history will never be tarnished.
So it’s time for a Top 10 List of Minor League Baseball Team Names. Let’s goooooooooooooo…
- New Hampshire Fisher Cats (AA)- Toronto Blue Jays
I literally just imagine a cat in a fisherman’s outfit looking for fish at a random lake in Nashua, NH.
- Hickory Crawdads (A) – Texas Rangers
Can you smoke crawdads with hickory wood? It sounds delicious.
- Richmond Flying Squirrels (AA) – San Francisco Giants
Flying squirrels are legitimate animals. Doesn’t make that any less awesome.
- Montgomery Biscuits (AA)- Tampa Bay Rays
Breh, a biscuit mascot with a tongue of butter. And googly eyes. HELP ME.
- Midland RockHounds (AA) – Oakland A’s
WTF is a rock hound? A miner? Someone who is just super passionate about rocks? Can that be a mascot?
- Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs (AAA) – Philadelphia Phillies
Big fan of the Iron Pigs. Their season ticket packages are called the Bacon USA Membership program. Also, their hat has a bacon strip on it.
- Cedar Rapids Kernels (A) –Minnesota Twins
Named after corn, the Kernels have an equally ridiculous logo.
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp (AA) – Miami Marlins
I just pray that Mayport shrimp is delivered daily for game day. It almost has to.
- Quad Cities River Bandits (A) – Houston Astros
Naturally, when you think “river” and “bandit”, you think raccoon with a bandana over its face. Nature’s thief gets a dope logo.
- Lancaster JetHawks (A) – Colorado Rockies
This logo is fierce as hell. I feel like saluting.