Jacksonville’s Double-A organization has its home opener Wednesday night, April 12, when it will debut the new team name Jumbo Shrimp. The franchise has bolstered its game-day menu and promotional schedule at the Baseball Grounds in Year Two of Ken Babby’s ownership. Jacksonville will host the Chattanooga Lookouts from Wednesday to Sunday for five games. The Jumbo Shrimp won two of its five games at the Mississippi Braves opening weekend. The 2-3 record should not deter folks from buying more and more Jumbo Shrimp gear and enjoying coconut shrimp or shrimp poboys this week.
- One lucky fan at every Jumbo Shrimp home game will receive a chance to win $50,000 with the world’s most expensive Shrimp Roll. The fan will roll six Jumbo Shrimp dice off the protective netting behind home plate. If the dice land on the field with S-H-R-I-M-P face up, that fan will win $50K.
- The Lookouts – the Minnesota Twins affiliate – feature shortstop Nick Gordon in the starting lineup, and he seems to be their #1 minor leaguer. Gordon – the younger brother of Marlins infielder Dee – is an elite prospect, after being drafted in the 2014 first round. He leads Chattanooga with seven hits and three runs. It will also be a perfect chance to see one or more future Twins pitchers. The Lookouts have Kohl Stewart, Felix Jorge, Fernando Romero, Nick Burdi and Mason Melotakis all as top-20 Twins prospects according to Sporting News.
- The promotions have been ramped up this season! Every home game will have some kind of treasure or treat for an early-arriving fan. Check them all out here. And the updated menu is incredibly mouth-watering. Peruse the photo gallery of new additions because these items will be the talk of the town.
- You’ll have five opportunities to see the Jumbo Shrimp at home before they head on the road for 10 games over 10 days. Jax returns to face Mobile on April 27. First pitch for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday is 7:05 p.m., Saturday is 6:05 and Sunday will be 3:05. Gates open one hour before game time.
- These three promotions will run during the whole season: $5 general admission tickets, $5 tickets for military – any active military or veteran can show ID at the box office for either a GA seat or reserved seat, and $2 hot dogs.