A weekly tradition around these parts continues, with Scott Manze and Richard Miller providing their best of the best around Jacksonville for the weekend. Because you are always looking for something to do and you are always looking for suggestions for said thing to do.
- Make some time for the World Arts Film Festival, being held at the WJCT Studios, from Wednesday to Friday. There will be panels, workshops, exhibits and over 100 short films. Learn more and purchase tickets here. Check out the three-day schedule for the World Arts Film Festival.
- The Jacksonville Sharks are off to a blazing start with a 6-0 mark in their first year in the National Arena League. Corpus Christi comes to Jacksonville for Saturday’s 7 o’clock kick at the Veterans Memorial Arena. The Sharks host the Rage (0-5) on Military Appreciation Night for the team’s second of three consecutive home games. A win Saturday would give the Sharks the franchise’s best start ever to a season.
- UNF baseball – tied with the JU Dolphins at 10-2 in conference play – look for a road sweep at USC Upstate this weekend. Friday’s game will be at 6 p.m. on 1010XL locally. Saturday (2 p.m.) and Sunday (1) will also air on 1010AM and 1010xl.com. Can the Ospreys or Dolphins take sole possession of first in the conference?
- Jacksonville baseball hosts Stetson, Friday through Sunday, 7 p.m. + 7 p.m. + 1 p.m.
- The Dolphins are tied for 1st in the ASUN with three weeks left, and the Hatters are 3rd, so it should be a pivotal series. Stetson has some big time strikeout pitchers, and JU RHP Michael Baumann was named #99 prospect by MLB heading into the June draft.
- Tequila Barrel Quetzalcoatl Bottle Release, Saturday noon-close, Green Room Brewing
- It’s Cinco de Mayo weekend, so what better way to celebrate than by getting some tequila aged beer from Green Room? 500 bottles with variants on tap, live music and a food truck all day.
- April Fun Report, from Jonah Keri of Sports Illustrated
- People complain that baseball is not fun enough, so one of my favorite writers is compiling the best-of-the-best from each month of the MLB season for your enjoyment.
Also, check out our Must Listen Moment from this week, in which we highlight the local baseball teams that find themselves tied for first with three weeks left in the season.