A weekly tradition around these parts continues, with Scott Manze and Richard Miller providing their best of the best around Jacksonville for the weekend. Because you are always looking for something to do and you are always looking for suggestions for said thing to do.
1. The Players Championship is obviously this week. If you have not gone already, we don’t need to tell you that it is one of the staple events of the First Coast. Enjoy Mother’s Day on Sunday at the Stadium Course! With new greens and great people watching opportunities, there is fun for everyone awaiting in Ponte Vedra.
2. It’s the second of three straight weekends with a key ASUN series involving JU, UNF baseball or both. Beginning Friday, the Ospreys play a three-game set in DeLand against the Stetson Hatters. North Florida and Jacksonville sit atop the conference tied with 11-4 records. Stetson is one game back at 10-5, after the Hatters took two of three from the Dolphins in Jacksonville. UNF, the league’s best offensive team, has a difficult series with arguably the ASUN’s best pitching team in Stetson. No matter what, the regular-season title will be decided next weekend at UNF’s Harmon Stadium with the Ospreys hosting JU.
3. The Jacksonville Cannons come off a bye week to host the defending AUDL champion Dallas Roughnecks (6-0) Friday night at 7:30 at Bolles. The Cannons – off to a franchise-best start of 4-1 – will see a Dallas squad that has gone 23-0 in its first season-plus of action. Jacksonville has a really good chance with the Roughnecks roster depleted due to international competition and injuries. The Cannons have been led by Jeremy Landon’s 20 assists and 27 goals while Mischa Freystaetter, who spent the Austin game primarily on defense, has 23 goals. It has the potential to be one historic meeting that will have a playoff atmosphere.
- Jacksonville baseball vs. USC Upstate, Friday-Sunday 7 p.m. & 1 p.m., John Sessions Stadium
- Final three game home series of 2017, and JU looks to bounce back after dropping two of three to Stetson last weekend. Dolphins are still tied for first in the ASUN. Friday and Saturday’s game will air on ESPN3 & Sunday’s on mixlr.com/judolphins.
- Sgt. Pepper’s 50th Anniversary Celebration, Friday & Saturday at 8 p.m., Jacoby Symphony Hall
- The Symphony pays tribute to arguably the greatest album of all time with two shows, capturing the dynamic sounds of The Beatles most in-depth work.
- I Don’t Hate Blake Bortles, But…, Michael Lombardi, The Ringer
- Blake is till the hot topic, after the Jaguars did not take another QB in the draft and picked up his fifth year option soon after that. Former NFL coach and executive Michael Lombardi had some strong words for the Jags and some not so flattering comparisons for Blake.
For more sports rumblings and speculations, check out this week’s “Manze & Miller on Sports” podcast.