A weekly tradition around these parts continues, with Scott Manze and Richard Miller providing their best of the best around Jacksonville for the weekend. Because you are always looking for something to do and you are always looking for suggestions for said thing to do.
- The Jumbo Shrimp are back in town for 10 games over 11 days. Jacksonville looks to bounce back after dropping all five home games to Biloxi in the last series at the Baseball Grounds. The Shrimp host the Mississippi Braves from Thursday to Monday. The Double-A Braves have future stars in pitcher Kolby Allard, center fielder Ronald Acuna and second baseman Travis Demeritte. Here’s a printable schedule for Jacksonville’s Double-A squad.
- With a stellar 7-0 start to the season, the Jacksonville Sharks host the 4-2 Monterrey Steel at the Veterans Memorial Arena this Saturday for Star Wars Night. Following a bye week and a 71-6 win two weeks ago, quarterback Damien Fleming will be the starter going forward with long-time QB Tommy Grady on injury reserve. Will the Sharks defense be as stellar since DBs Marvin Ross and Jabari Gorman received promotions last week to the Canadian Football League? Catch Saturday’s game in person, on YouTube Live, CW17 or radio’s 97.3 FM. The first 1,000 kids in attendance – 12 years & younger – will receive free lightsabers.
- The Jax Cannons will be hosting the Raleigh Flyers in the AUDL’s Game of the Week this Saturday at 7 p.m. The 5-1 Cannons, who have won four in a row, last loss to the Flyers on April 15 at Bolles, 25-18. The Cannons won’t return home again until June 10. The 6-1 Flyers also defeated the Dallas Roughnecks last week, although Raleigh beat Dallas on Saturday – a day after Jax handed the Roughnecks their first-ever AUDL loss.
- Jacksonville Car-Free Week, May 15-19
- Friends of BPAC is sponsoring the week to raise awareness for alternative forms of travel this week, and Intuition Ale Works is offering additional incentive to participate.
- River City Rumble, Thursday-Saturday, 6 p.m.-4 p.m.-1 p.m., UNF’s Harmon Stadium
- A great rivalry is heightened when the first place JU Dolphins travel to face the third place UNF Ospreys for three on the diamond this weekend. The final series of the season will have a decided impact on who wins the regular season ASUN Championship, with both teams still in the hunt. Also, Richard & I previewed the series.
- This video of JU golfer David Wicks looking for his ball in the water at the NCAA Regional in Baton Rouge yesterday has gone viral. He never found it, but luckily it did not matter as JU went on to earn a berth in the NCAA Championship next week anyway.