It’s Father’s Day weekend, what do you have planned with your pops? Behind the day to honor or remember the father figure in your life, what else is worth your while as we hit the halfway point of June? Scott Manze and Richard Miller have suggestions below.
- Six Year Anniversary, Green Room Brewing, Saturday, noon-2 a.m.
- Green Room is celebrating its sixth year open with a limited release of its Secret Spot Anniversary Ale, an Imperial Stout aged in Puerto Rican rum barrels + other special brews. Also, Firewater Tent Revival will be performing.
- College World Series, Saturday through June 28, ESPN
- For the first time in a while, two local team’s are featured in Omaha. Florida State will face No. 4 national seed LSU at 8 p.m. Saturday and No. 3 national seed Florida will battle No. 6 national seed TCU at 7 p.m. Sunday. The tournament is double elimination, with the championship final a best-of-three series. Neither program has ever won a national title in baseball.
- Bowling for Rhinos 2017, Friday & Saturday 6-10 p.m. at Beach Bowl
- The Jacksonville Zoo does a bunch of fun fundraisers throughout the year, and this one is near the top of the list. Over $18,000 was raised last year; registration is $25 for two games and shoes. Also raffles and silent auctions to supplement the bowling. So go out and support the rhinos!
- A perfect 12-0 regular-season record is the goal Saturday night for the Jacksonville Sharks. They host the Monterrey Steel (6-4) at the Shark Tank for a 7 o’clock start, in what will also be the matchup for the first week of the playoffs June 24 at the Veterans Memorial Arena. This Saturday will be the third meeting between the two in 2017. The Steel held Jax to its second-lowest point total during Week 10 when the Sharks scored just 42 points. The game will be aired on CW17, YouTube Live and on radio (97.3 FM).
- The Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp will be at the Baseball Grounds all weekend hosting the Pensacola Blue Wahoos. It’s the final series before next week’s Southern League All-Star Game. Check out our Jumbo Hooks preview for promotions, game times and Shrimp storylines before you head to the ballpark. Scott and I sat down with Jumbo Shrimp starting pitcher and former JU Dolphin Matt Tomshaw on Thursday for our podcast. Listen to the entire chat here about how the team is playing and how Tomshaw is thrilled to be one of four Shrimp players in the All-Star Game.
- The Riverside Arts Market is one of my favorite weekend events when I have a free Saturday. Now that the college athletics season is over I’m making time for this wonderful outdoor gathering this summer. It goes on Saturdays from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. Live music, fresh food and so much more! Here is their calendar of events.