It is officially summer (according to the calendar at least) and what better way to ring in the new season than with some fun things to this weekend! Scott Manze and Richard Miller provide their top three things for the upcoming break from the work week.
- The College World Series continues Friday and Saturday. You might as well take a half day Friday or make sure you have the Watch ESPN app ready for Oregon State and LSU at 3 p.m. The Florida Gators will play at 8, so you have time for dinner with the family. The CWS Finals begins Monday night at 7 on ESPN.
- Kona celebrates its 40th anniversary this week as “the oldest surviving skatepark.” Festivities began Thursday and continue through Sunday. Live bands, skate competitions and vendors will be on hand. It’s a wonderful opportunity to see local and national talent. Skateboarding legends Tony Alva, Steve Olson, Dave Duncan and others will be competing or in attendance. For ticket prices and schedule of events, go here.
- The Jacksonville Sharks were dealt their lone loss of the season last Saturday. The Monterrey Steel (7-4) took down the Sharks 44-37. It’s a rematch in the first round of the NAL playoffs at the Veterans Memorial Arena on Saturday at 7 p.m. The 11-1 Sharks replaced their defensive coordinator this week and added receiver Joe Hills to the roster. Hills, an All-Arena pass catcher, led the AFL last year with 161 receptions, 2,020 yards and 58 touchdowns while playing for Jacksonville. The winner of Saturday’s 7 o’clock matchup will face either Columbus or Lehigh Valley in the NAL Championship.
- Jacksonville Armada FC vs. Puerto Rico FC, Sunday, 6 p.m., Hodges Stadium
- Armada return home after a difficult road match, but have a golden opportunity to get right vs. lowly PRFC. It is also Puerto Rican Heritage Night, and Jaguars rookies will be out there as well.
- Isolated Incident Bottle Release, Wicked Barley Brewing Company, Saturday, 11a-5p
- Inspired by the time the brewers spent hunkered down during Hurrican Matthew last fall, WB celebrates its first bottle release this weekend, with live music and a cookout. $15 a pop for this 10% ABV Imperial Stout, no limit, bring cash.
- Get outside
- Summer is officially here, as are the temps, but after the last few weeks, extended rain is not expected everyday. So before the precipitation returns next week, go to the pool, the beach, take a bike ride, a hike, try out kayaking or surfing, or just go for a run or a walk. Take advantage of the weather and BE ACTIVE!