It’s an Independence Day weekend and hopefully you have both Monday and Tuesday off to celebrate our great nation. Scott Manze and Richard Miller provide their top three things for the upcoming break from the work week.
- The SoFit Sports Festival will be this weekend – all day Saturday and Sunday. It’s in its second year. Scott and I were down at the Prime Osborn Convention Center yesterday recording a podcast. Listen here for all the details.
- Six games at home for the Jumbo Shrimp that take you all the way until Monday night. It’s the first home series of the second-half schedule. We previewed the series here, and Saturday’s game is Vince Coleman Bobble Head Night. Enjoy some Jax baseball with the family!!
- 1010XL’s 10th anniversary party is all day Friday with local shows going until 10 p.m. This is more of a tease though because Scott had a good idea to start a local media podcast. So our first guest will be 1010XL general manager Steve Griffin, one of the main people who helped create the sports talk radio giant. Look for the podcast early next week. It’s a great behind-the-scenes look at local radio and how it has grown.
- 4th of July Cookout, Wicked Barley Brewing Co., Saturday, 3 p.m.-8 p.m.
- Hamburgers, hot dogs, and all day happy hour? Sign me up. Ring in Independence Day early in the beer garden at WB.
- Armada FC vs. FC Edmonton, Hodges Stadium, Saturday, 7 p.m.
- A chance for the Armada, after a handful of weather delays, to get back on the pitch and earn three points at home. It is also Military Appreciation Night, with retired and active military receiving discounted tickets, plus a post-match pint glass deal at Blackfinn.
- Support your favorite sports journalism website
- No matter where you get your sports news, check out the rest of the sites for excellence in longform, features and more than just game recaps. The recent FOXsports.com news continues to rattle an already shaken industry, and things won’t get better unless you show sites that reading is still necessary in sports journalism.