The Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp could only muster 12 runs in the last four games against the Montgomery Biscuits following a 10-1 win in the opening game Wednesday. Much like the first series against the bread batters, Jacksonville won one of the five games. The Jumbo Shrimp continue to struggle on the road with the overall away mark now at 15-30. Three teams are tied atop the South Division standings with two of them facing off at the Baseball Grounds beginning Sunday night (Pensacola is the other). The 8-8 Jumbo Shrimp and Biloxi Shuckers will play a four-game series from Sunday to Wednesday. Jax is 5-1 at home in the second half.
- Jacksonville dropped the last four games in Montgomery. But the glaring concern is that the Jumbo Shrimp still have not won a road series in 2017. From Saturday’s doubleheader – both 7-inning games, Jacksonville dropped the series finale 3-0. It was the eighth time the Bold City side has been shut out. They recorded just two hits. Sunday sets up for a pitcher’s duel with Trevor Richards (2-0) and Biloxi’s Corbin Burns (2-1) both owning ERAs under 2.77.
- The Marlins front office announced Wednesday afternoon that Jacksonville third baseman Brian Anderson and pitcher Trevor Richards were named Miami Marlins Minor League Player and Pitcher of the Month for June. Anderson earned Player of the Month after hitting .333 and owning a Southern League-best .571 slugging percentage over 26 games. He also led the league with 81 games played, as of Wednesday. The 24-year-old Richards had five starts in June going 4-0 with games for Jupiter and Jacksonville. His 1.66 ERA and holding teams to a batting average of .161 has made him a Game One starter. Richards joins Omar Bencomo as the two Shrimp pitchers to be awarded Pitcher of the Month honors. The lefty Richards guided Jacksonville to a 10-1 opening game win over Montgomery on the Fourth.
- A good news nugget for the Jumbo Shrimp disabled list as left-handed starter Dillon Peters, who has been out since April 18 with a left thumb injury, was transferred to the GCL Marlins on a rehab assignment. In three starts for Jacksonville, Peters went 2-1 with a 2.25 ERA. He is the Marlins No. 5 prospect according to Baseball America and MLB.com. Peters took a line drive off his throwing hand on April 17 in his start against Pensacola.
- The game promotions remain top-notch for Jacksonville’s Double-A squad this week with the home side wearing Ugly Christmas Sweater jerseys on Sunday. The special jerseys will be auctioned off for charity during the game. Tuesday is 2-for-1 tickets for the evening action, and the always-popular Splash Day is set for Wednesday’s day game. The Baseball Grounds will be filled with camp kids and families enjoying baseball and keeping cool with water balloons and water guns!
- The Jumbo Shrimp look to stay in front for the division’s second half as the Biloxi Shuckers come to the First Coast. The Shuckers (8-8) finished second in the SL South for the first half with a 36-33 record. The last time these two sides met Biloxi took three of five back in June. The Shrimp hosted the Shuckers and got swept by them in the second week of May. However, all five games were decided by either one or two runs. Biloxi is coming off a home series loss (3-2) to the South first-half champion Pensacola Blue Wahoos.