Jacksonville (18-17) won the middle three games of its road series at Mississippi for the team’s first away series win of 2017. The M-Braves (12-22) were victorious in the first and final games of the series at Trustmark Park. The series win keeps the Jumbo Shrimp tied for first in the Southern League South Division. The Pensacola Blue Wahoos also stand at 18-17 and have been neck-and-neck with Jax for the last two weeks. The Jumbo Shrimp stay on the road for a five-game series at the Biloxi Shuckers (14-21) from Sunday to Thursday.
- Behind a strong start from Trevor Richards (3-2) in Game Two, the Jumbo Shrimp posted a 3-0 shutout. Richards – who got his seventh start for Jacksonville – went seven innings where he allowed five hits, struck out six and walked one. He has given up more than five hits in only two Jax starts. Richards, 24, made it his fourth start where he gave up one run or less. He had a dominant stretch from June 29 to July 9 when he allowed 10 hits, two runs and fanned 19 opponents over three starts. In the third game at Mississippi, Jacksonville scored its go-ahead run in the eighth inning off a David Vidal RBI single to make it a 2-1 final. Knotted up at 1-1 from the first to the top of the eighth, the Vidal base knock to left field gave the Shrimp back-to-back wins over Mississippi on Thursday and Friday.
- Starting pitcher Omar Bencomo was sent up to Triple-A New Orleans on Friday. The right-hander started 14 games and saw action in 16 for Jacksonville. Bencomo’s record is 5-4 with a 4.58 ERA, the fifth-best for the Jumbo Shrimp. The next day, David Vidal was the hero once again as he became the first Jax player to have a multi-homer game this season. The 4-3 win came via Vidal’s solo home run in the third inning and the go-ahead shot in the top of the ninth. Jacksonville outhit the Braves in the third game 14-5.
- None of the five games saw an individual team score more than four runs. The closest the Jumbo Shrimp have come to an equally low-scoring series in the second half was the four-game set versus Biloxi two weeks ago. Three of them had the winning side scoring four runs or fewer. The lone exception was an 8-4 Shuckers victory on July 10.
- Jacksonville fell in the series opener at Trustmark Park 3-2 on a ninth-inning walk-off by the M-Braves. Center fielder Connor Lien ended the competition with a shot to left field. Both starting pitchers turned in no decisions but had quality starts. Braves starter Mike Soroka pitched seven innings while giving up six hits, one run and fanning six Jumbo Shrimp. Jacksonville’s starter Matt Tomshaw, who was going for his 10th win, went seven innings with six hits, two runs with a walk and seven strikeouts.
- The Bold City squad stays traveling with Biloxi up next on the schedule. It is the second time in five series the Jumbo Shrimp and Shuckers will face off. In the season’s only four-game set, Jacksonville snagged three of the games at the Baseball Grounds from July 9-12. Like last week’s matchup, the Jumbo Shrimp get another bottom dweller in the South Division.