Don’t stand on the sidelines this weekend, get out and have some fun with some assistance from yours truly(s).
- Jumbo Shrimp Silent Movie Night, Monday, 7:05 p.m., Baseball Grounds
- I know it is not exactly this weekend, but this concept is awesome to me. No PA announcements or recorded sounds, just live music accompaniment. Shrimp are partnering with Norman Studios of Arlington, a silent film studio & museum.
- JU Football Family Fun Day, Saturday, 9 a.m.-12 p.m., D.B. Milne Field
- You’re itching for football season, and the Dolphins will be scrimmaging Saturday morning until 10:30, when the focus will shift to the kids as the players and coaches will provide a free youth clinic plus sign autographs.
- Burger, Beer and Barbecue Fest, Saturday, 4 p.m.-8 p.m., Hemming Park
- Local fare from Monroe’s, Best Burgers Jax and more, plus beer from Budweiser and Bold City and plenty of activities for the kids. Enjoy the final parts of summer outdoors!
1. The Jacksonville Armada host back-to-back home games for the first time in over two months. Sunday night at Hodges Stadium the Armada FC will try to bounce back from a gut-punch 2-1 loss to Puerto Rico FC on Wednesday night. It does not get much easier with Miami FC – the combined standings leader in the NASL – facing Jax for the third time this year. Miami has two wins over the Armada, 1-0 and 4-0. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m. Sunday at Hodges. Watch live on CW17 and ESPN3. Can Tony Taylor make it three straight matches with a goal?
2. Jacksonville Beach will have the Eastern Surfing Association contest Sunday morning starting at 8 a.m. The Jax Beach Pier is the home venue for the third date on the 2017 schedule. Grab a beach chair, cooler, a bottle of sunscreen and take in some of the best surfing in Florida.
3. College soccer begins locally this weekend with the University of North Florida women’s team hosting Elon on Friday at Hodges Stadium. The two sides have not met on the First Coast since 1996. Game time is 7 p.m. under the lights. North Florida will have a quick turnaround with Charleston Southern in town Sunday for an 11 a.m. start. The Ospreys are coming off a season in which they posted their most wins since 2013. Both games will be streamed on Facebook Live.