It is the final weekend in August, and you need to celebrate accordingly. Summer (but unfortunately not the heat) is fading fast, so drink the rest of your Summer Shandy’s and break out the surf board one last time. (Ah, who are we kidding, its almost always summer here, but enjoy anyway).
- 1010XL afternoon producer – for the Frank Frangie Show – Big Country is hosting a Madden 18 Release Day on Friday night at The Landing’s Chicago Pizza. Register to participate at the link provided, for those 18 and older. At the GLHF (good luck have fun) Game Bar/Chicago Pizza venue, there will be drink and food specials. The Tournament, which goes by Madden Challenge rules, will begin at 8 p.m.
- The University of North Florida has more soccer at Hodges Stadium this weekend with the men’s team hosting matches Friday and Sunday. Coming off back-to-back regular-season conference titles, the men’s team opens the season with the Mike Gibbs Tournament. The Ospreys are led by scorers Joshua Castellanos, Adrian Nunez and Micah Smoak with Juanes Fajardo as the Conference’s Preseason Goalkeeper of the Year. Both games kick off at 7 p.m. with Campbell on Friday and UNC-Wilmington Sunday night.
- With five fall matches already in the books, the Jacksonville Armada (0W-2D-3L) is on the road this weekend trying for its first win since defeating FC Edmonton on July 1. The 7:30 p.m. match Saturday against the Indy Eleven (1W-1D-2L) will air on CW17 locally and ESPN3. Jax had Ciaran Kilduff make his first appearance for the Blue and Gold in last week’s 1-0 home loss to Miami FC. It’s a wait and see if Tony Taylor, who has goals in two of his last three matches, is healthy after being subbed out 29 minutes in at Hodges Stadium. Following a 3-3 road draw with the New York Cosmos, Indy and Jacksonville could be in for a higher-scoring affair.
- High school football, Various locales, Friday night
- A full slate of games are here for your “Friday Night Lights” fix. My best three to watch are Providence at University Christian at 7:30 p.m., Nease at Ponte Vedra at 7 p.m., and Fletcher at Bishop Kenny at 7 p.m.
- Jax Fray Cornhole Tournament, Wicked Barley Brewing, Sunday, Noon-2p
- Prizes for winners, a free drink for all participants, live music, brewery tours, food specials and more. $15 registration for you to show off your bag skills in a little Sunday Funday action.
- College football, Saturday, All day
- It is back. No, there are not any marquee matchups this weekend, you will have to wait one more week for that. But, those who are CFB addicts like myself, will have no qualms checking out any of the five scheduled games starting with Oregon State at Colorado State at 2:30 p.m. on CBSSN and concluding with #14 Stanford vs. Rice from Australia at 10 p.m. on ESPN.